Recently we compiled an introduction to Italian cold cuts to help you sort your San Daniele from your Parma. So we thought it’s about time we introduced you to some of our preferred suppliers…
As a family-run business, Adriatic Trading is committed to serving quality, imported Italian foods to South African tables, whether in your home or at your restaurant, store or deli. We sample all our products (it’s a tough life!) and build long-lasting relationships with our suppliers in Italy. Adriatic director Maurizio and his son Roberto visit Italy at least five times a year to attend premier food and beverage events and to meet with existing and potential new suppliers. Knowing our products and who makes them, as well as how they are made, is a key part of our business ethos. Why? Because we love good food!
Our range of Italian cold cuts is no exception. Salumi has a long and revered history in Italy and it remains close to our hearts and palates. We recently introduced Ibis Salumi to our range of delicatessen offerings. Ibis, whose parent company is food services giant Gruppo Cremonini, offers an all-encompassing range of of salumi, from mortadella, salame, prosciutto and culatello to prosciutto cotto and bresaola.
Introducing Ibis Salumi
- Largest producer of sliced meats in Italy
- 3rd largest salami producer
- 3rd largest mortadella producer
- Operates from 4 plants – in Parma (Emilia-Romagna), Mantua and Sondrio (both in Lombardy) and Rome (Lazio)
- IBIS has PGI (Protected Geographical Indication) certification for its mortadella, bresaola, salamino alla cacciatora, salame feline and coppa di Parma.
- IBIS has PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) certification for its culatello di Zibello
- The group is also committed to supplying only organic (BIO) salami and cooked hams
- Their slicing plant in Mantua, with its 16 facilities, is one of the most important in Italy
Top-quality salumi straight from Italy
Over the years, Adriatic has offered premium salumi from a range of other top Italian suppliers. We are the exclusive distributors in South Africa of both Levoni and Prosciutificio San Francesco products, something we’re extremely proud of!
Levoni is a fourth-generation family business with roots in Mantua, Lombardy, that prioritises quality produce for delicatessens, butcher’s shops and speciality food stores both in Italy and abroad.
Prosciutificio San Francesco is based in Modena and Parma and offers prosciutto in line with the strictest DOG (Denominazione Origine Protetta) standards. (They also produce excellent Balsamic Vinegar). Rather unusually, their factory in Modena is fronted by a four-metre, 3000 kilogram bronze statue of St. Francis!
For a glimpse of our full range of cold meats, be sure to take a look at our delicatessen – you’ll also find French and Italian cheeses and cold meats.